"Living Feng Shui" magazine
bio and photo
articles about and by Carol Olmstead
Broadcast & Internet Interviews
10 Cheap and Easy Feng Shui Tips For Selling Your Condo in a Slow Market
"First, make sure your home description flyer, realtor's card, and any other sales materials are placed upright, in a brochure rack, rather than flat on a table," Olmstead advises. "After all, you don't want your realtor's materials—or your realtor—symbolically lying down on the job."
Here are 9 more of the Feng Shui Maven's cheap and easy Feng Shui tips for selling your home:
1. The front door is associated with wealth in Feng Shui, so clean it or re-paint if it is cracked, old, or faded, and add a fresh new doormat.
2. Place two healthy, red flowering plants in attractive planters on either side of your front door to act as a welcoming threshold or "greeter" for prospective buyers. Red is the color of abundance in Feng Shui.
3. Create a welcoming first impression with a second “greeter” inside the front door, such as a colorful poster, mirror, or fountain, preferably on the right hand side, since people naturally look to the right when they enter a home.
4. De-clutter the entire apartment, paying special attention to the kitchen and closets. Clutter represents stuck energy and the inability to move forward, so removing it invites buyers to move into your home.
5. De-personalize the home by removing family photographs, awards, plaques, and personalized items, so prospective buyers can picture themselves filling the space with their own things.
6. Make sure the artwork throughout the house has friendly positive images; remove any dark, sad, or lonely art that would turn away prospects.
7. Create a beautiful view by cleaning all windows and dusting all the doors and doorframes so buyers feel connected to the outdoors.
8. Remove any dead plants or dried flowers, and replace them with healthy, living plants with rounded leaves to symbolize growth and expansion.
9. Pack up five of your most treasured possessions and seal them in a moving box as a symbol that you are ready, willing, and able to move out!
After you sell your home, you can also use Feng Shui to quickly settle into your new home.