Follow Carol's Blog|
To receive new blog posts in your inbox, enter your email address here:
Go Color Bold for 2021
Fri Jan 22 2021 |
I was frustrated when the Oxford English Dictionary couldn’t pick only one word of the year for 2020. Now, I’m less than pleased Pantone, the color-forecasting group, had the same problem choosing their 2021 color of the year. They chose two - a gray (Ultimate Gray, PANTONE 17-5104) and a yellow (Illuminating, PANTONE 13-0647). Pantone “…searches worldwide for trends to translate into a color that will dominate fashion and décor in the coming year.” They went with the metaphor of two colors because "...no one color can represent this coming year."
What a color wimp-out.
This is only the second time Pantone selected two colors. For 2016, they chose Rose Quartz and Serenity. I wasn’t a fan then, either (“Two Colors Too Many").
While I agree we need an array of colors to achieve balance, let’s be decisive in 2021 and each pick a personal color. For me, there’s no way it’s going to be gray. Not after that dismal 2020. I want to start with brightness! But, I don’t look good in yellow, so that’s a non-starter for me.
Using Feng Shui color theory, you can pick your own personal color for the year by understanding the Five Elements. Each Element is represented by a color or colors, and displaying (or wearing) these colors brings their unique attributes into your life.
You have choices:
1. The passionate colors of the Fire Element - reds and deep shades of orange, purple, and pink - ignite love and attract wealth. Buy a new red wallet to attract wealth. Wear orange to encourage conversation and avoid conflict.
2. The stable Earth Element colors - yellows from the sun and browns from the soil – will ground you. Pick yellows to lift your spirits; choose browns for stability.
3. The strong Metal Element colors - gold, silver, pastels, light colors like white and gray - represent focus. Wear white to be the center of attraction, especially if you’re feeling left out.
4. The flowing Water Element colors - deep blue and black, as if you were looking into deep water - encourage relaxation. Blue represents flow and tranquility, a good choice to lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety. Wear black when you want others to focus on what you say (not to hard a fashion choice here in NYC).
5. The growing Wood Element colors - greens and teals like tree leaves - promote expansion. Green represents growth and health, so surrounding yourself with living plants to grow your career prospects.
Let’s go color bold into 2021, and each choose a personal color. Mine is “Radiance Raspberry” (Pantone 19-2432) for three reasons: it’s the Fire Element, but without too much heat; it makes me happy when I see it; and, Dr. Sanjay Gupta says berries prevent dementia (that one is a story for another blog). What more could you ask of a color?
Pick your own color for 2021, then write and tell me which color you chose - and why.